Thursday, July 2, 2015

Welcome!



I feel like the inaugural post of any blog ends up seeming silly and out of place down the line. It's the sort of thing you feel should be profound and amazing to hook people in, but at this point I have no idea what this blog may evolve into.

So instead of stressing over how to kick things off, I'm going to use this post as a bit of an introductory About Me session. Hopefully it's a good use of your time and mine : )

My name is Tracy and I teach ESE (aka special education) Intensive Reading in a Florida high school. My classroom is not exactly what one would call traditional. My co-teacher and I (more on that in later posts) work with students from grade 9 through 12. Some of them are decent readers who need help with higher order thinking, and others have the lexile of a 3rd grader. They may have learning disabilities, language impairments, behavior disorders, health impairments, or any combination of the above. So you can imagine how crazy it can get.

That bring me to the name of this blog: Disorderly Teaching. Clever, I know. I chose the name for two reasons. One, my students all have some sort of disability or disorder etc. Two, I have several disorders myself. The more common ones I face are ADD and mild OCD. I am also in the process of getting diagnosed with Asperger's, which is part of Autism Spectrum Disorder. I plan to write more on that in the future, as well as how these disorders (sigh, such a negative word) affect my teaching.

Beyond teaching, my hobbies include a variety of crafts, reading (I'm obsessed with Harry Potter - Go Hufflepuff!), watching too much TV and anime, and playing video games. I'm also a beginning runner, although my asthma is fighting me on that : p

So hopefully you now have an idea of who I am and what I'm about. I hope you'll stick around and enjoy Disorderly Teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment